Monday, August 23, 2010

Is there something wrong or is it just me?

Vienna asleep in her ex-pen.  She has been sound asleep all day!

This is what Vienna has done all day today. Sleep. I have to wake her up to feed and relieve her. Then she comes back inside and immediately goes to sleep again. She didn’t even eat dinner tonight, she had no interest. Could she really be this lazy, or is something wrong? Maybe she doesn’t feel good. It just doesn’t seem right to have just picked up a puppy and I can’t even tell she is in the house! She is so quiet and sleepy. At first I thought she was just mellow, but it seems to be getting worse. Yesterday she started to come out of her shell a little bit and had bouts of playfulness, but today she has been a zombie. She sleeps all day and all night. She just lays down everytime I try to get her up and moving. I have never had a puppy like this, has anyone else?

6 comments:

  1. I have. When Eclipse first came home (and his sister Eva to my sister) they were very quiet puppies, sleep all day, no interest in food. Turns out they both have kidney issues and they were very sick puppies. (Outside breeder and raised for a different organization than GDB) My sister's last pup for GDB was also very very quiet for Vienna and had health issues as a pup. If she doesn't come out of her shell I'd definitely look into a very thorough vet check for her

    ReplyDelete
  2. If she acts like that for over a week I would take her to the vet just to make sure. Our little Lance was diagnosed with Giardia and there's no where he could have gotten it besides his raisers yard and Guide Dogs. I know a few other pups who left about the same time were diagnosed with it as well. The vets here thought he had parvo. Thank goodness he didn't. But it really isn't like a lab to not be interested in food and not moving. Freya went through a stage like that where she did nothing but sleep, but she also had a bladder infection so she was pretty sick. I hope Vienna starts acting like a lab soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it lasts more than another day, I would talk to your leader and see what they think. As a leader, I would contact my CFR to see if there were any problems with the litter or if the other puppies are having similar issues.

    Hoping she is alright!

    ReplyDelete
  4. when did she last have any vacinations? could be just a reaction to those, but I owuld let your leader know. hope she feels better soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! She is feeling better now and I will post about it later when I have more time. Thank you everyone for your concern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesterday was a hot day--at least over here in the north bay, which might have made her more lethargic. Glad to hear she's better, though.

    ReplyDelete